Green-lidded wheeled bin (mixed dry recyclables)
Your green lidded bin is for mixed recycling collected fortnightly. All bins should be out by 7am on collection day. Please see below for items accepted in the green lidded bin
What can I put in my green-lidded bin?
- Glass bottles and jars (any colour)
- Plastic bottles (clear and coloured) including cleaning product bottles
- Plastic pots and tubs (e.g. butter, margarine, yoghurt)
- Plastic food trays and fruit punnets (remove film sleeve and place in black bin)
- Drink cans
- Food tins
- Aerosols (empty)
- Aluminum foil / food trays (clean)
Please rinse off any food waste and place the items loose in the bin. Please do not use plastic bags to contain the mixed dry recycling within the bin.
Please do not include any of the following items in your green-lidded recycling bin:
- Cardboard / card (this goes in your green box)
- Paper (this goes in your green box)
- Garden Waste (brown bin)
- Plastic bags / plastic film (black residual waste / refuse bin)
- Cartons (Tetra Pak) (black bin)
- Black plastics such as food trays / flower pots (black bin)
- Plastic plant pots/seed trays (black bin)
- Crisp packets (some recycling schemes are available)
- Sweets and chocolate wrappers (black bin)
- Polystyrene (black bin)
- Pyrex, heat-resistant glassware and any glass that is not a bottle or jar (black bin)
- Light bulbs (old style - black bin, low energy or fluorescent tubes - KCC recycling site)
- Mirrors (small - black bin, large KCC recycling site)
- Broken crockery, ceramics, other cookware (black bin)
- Cutlery (black bin or KCC recycling site)
- Coffee Capsules (black bin)
- Bio-plastics / compostables (black bin or home composting)
- Please note: there are a number of bio products being used in packaging such as newspaper wrapping and disposable cups, that say they can be recycled. These may be suitable for home composting but we cannot collect them as the processing plants cannot accept them and the collection crews will not be able to identify them as recyclable items.
Carton's (Tetra Pak)
In early communications we informed residents that we were able to collect Tetra Pak (cartons) for recycling in the green-lidded, dry recycling bin. Due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to collect Tetra Pak (cartons) with the green-lidded bin. Please place your cartons (Tetra Pak) in the black bin with other non- recyclable refuse, until further notice. Thank you.
Green Lidded Recycling Bin –frequently asked questions
Why can’t I put cardboard and paper in my recycling bin? We collect cardboard and paper separately (in the green box) as it goes directly to local paper mills to be made into new paper and board products. Collecting separately produces a better quality material, than if it is mixed with other materials, such as broken glass.
Can I use a liner in my green lidded recycling bin?
No. Please do not use any kind of liner in the bin, when it is emptied it could fall out of the bin into the vehicle and contaminate the recycling